Nurse Case Manager – Inpatient (11am – 7pm)
Req #: 4934
Category: NURSING/LVN (INPATIENT, OUTPATIENT, SPECIALTY)
Division: Nursing Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Hours: 5 days/week 8A-4:30P
Compensation Type: Salaried
Facility: John Peter Smith Hospital
Location: 1500 S. Main Street, Fort Worth
JPS Health Network is a $950 million, tax-supported health care system for Tarrant County in North Texas. Anchored by a 537-bed acute care hospital, the network includes more than 46 community-based clinics, including 20 school-based clinics. John Peter Smith Hospital is home to Tarrant County’s first and only Level 1 Trauma Center, its only psychiatric emergency services site and has the largest family medicine residency program in the nation. Our network employs more than 6,500 people.
Acclaim is our medical practice group and is comprised of a multispecialty medical practice group designed to align clinical providers with a common set of incentives and expectations supporting operational, financial and clinical performance improvement.
For more information, visit www.jpshealthnet.org
To view all job vacancies, visit www.jpshealthcareers.org
The Nurse Case Manager – Inpatient is responsible for coordinating the care and service of assigned patients with physicians, nurses, social workers and other members of the healthcare team to facilitate the progression of care from hospital admission through discharge. The Nurse Case Manager- Inpatient is also responsible for ensuring that the patient is placed in the appropriate level of care while monitoring the utilization of healthcare resources and discharge planning to achieve the desired clinical, financial, and resource utilization outcomes. Typical Duties:
- Provides an assessment for all observation status patients prior to observation placement. The patient is to be assessed throughout the shift to determine discharge readiness or the need to convert to an inpatient status by using the approved medical appropriateness criteria and all third-party payer regulatory requirement.
- Performs initial status review and level of care placement on all patients in an inpatient status using approved medical appropriate criteria in addition to third-party payer regulatory requirements.
- Conducts an initial clinical assessment on assigned patients as well as discharge planning assessment prior to admission, at the time of admission, or at discharge.
- Meets directly with the patient, family, and/or representative to assess needs and develop an individualized discharge plan based on the patient’s medical diagnosis, treatment plan, financial resources, and psychosocial issues, etc.
- Reassesses the discharge plan throughout the patient’s hospitalization with input from the healthcare team and patient, family, and/or representative and modifying as needed.
- Collaborates with the multi-disciplinary care team to ensure all needed clinical information is provided to the appropriate entities for the assigned level of care and supports the concurrent appeal process for any reduction in level of care or denial as requested.
- Maintains active communication with the patient, family, and/or representative, physicians, nursing and other members of the multi-disciplinary care team to effect timely, appropriate patient management; documents each component of the case management process and related activities.
- Identifies appropriate services not related to admission and assists in arrangement of services on an outpatient basis.
- Leads the Unit’s daily interdisciplinary rounds to ensure a comprehensive plan of care is developed, including identification of patient needs, assignment of tasks to resolve clinical issues, review of discharge barriers, and identification of discharge planning options.
- Generates referrals to the Case Management Physician Advisor according to departmental policies.
- Serves as an educational resource for physician, nursing staff and others concerning case management strategies essential in meeting the organization’s quality, utilization, financial and customer satisfaction objectives.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned. #nursingfeaturedjob
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university.
- 3-5 years of clinical experience and/or case management, utilization review, and/or discharge planning experience in an acute care setting.
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- RN licensure through the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university.
- ACM Certification.